GOURMET ESCAPE ANNOUNCES THE WORLD GOURMET SYMPOSIUM – PRESS RELEASE
GLOBAL CULINARY INNOVATORS TO CONVERGE IN PERTH THIS NOVEMBER FOR THE WORLD GOURMET SYMPOSIUM
PERTH (6 September 2019) – This November, as part of the newly expanded 10-day Western Australia Gourmet Escape presented by Westpac (8-17 Nov 2019) Perth will host some of the world’s most exciting chefs, creatives, sommeliers, food activists and business leaders at The World Gourmet Symposium.
Taking place Thursday 14 November at Swan Valley’s Mandoon Estate, The World Gourmet Symposium will be an intimate industry event exploring the creativity, daring, challenges and successes of some of the biggest names in hospitality via a series of thought-provoking talks, panel discussions and networking opportunities.
David Chang, founder of Momofuku will headline the Symposium, joined by chefs from around the globe, including Jock Zonfrillo (Restaurant Orana and The Orana Foundation, SA); Kobus van der Merwe (Wolfgat, South Africa, The World Restaurant Awards’ Restaurant of the Year); Palisa Anderson (Boon Luck Farm and Boon Café, NSW); Josh Niland (Saint Peter and Fish Butcher, NSW); Ivan Brehm (Nouri, Singapore); and Selassie Atadika (Midunu, Ghana).
To reflect an industry rich in creativity, experimentation and risk, The World Gourmet Symposium has also invited speakers from some of the world’s leading hospitality businesses. Joining is Syed Asim Hussain (CEO of Black Sheep Group); Fenella Kernebone (Head of Curation at TEDxSydney); Mike Weeks (CEO of Frontline Mind USA); and Rob Laing (CEO of Farm.One).
David Chang commented: “I was blown away by my first visit to Gourmet Escape in 2012. The food, the people, and the landscape were all extraordinary. I can’t wait to head back, and see how the Gourmet Escape has evolved over the last several years. I’m sure it will be another incredible visit to Western Australia.”
Fenella Kernebone said: “I’m excited to see such a diverse line-up and breadth of topics already confirmed for the symposium’s first year.”
Hannah Pike, Head of culinary events (APAC) for IMG, organizer of The World Gourmet Symposium and Western Australia Gourmet Escape, added: “The ever-increasing global challenges facing the food and beverage industries impact us across sourcing and sustainability, agriculture, customer experience, technology and the bottom line. The World Gourmet Symposium aims to bring together some of the most creative and innovative minds from across the industry to explore and challenge these topics together.”
With key networking and dining events surrounding The World Gourmet Symposium – as well as the extraordinary food and wine festival Western Australia Gourmet Escape – delegates will experience a full day of engaging talks, ideas and panel discussions from the world’s best minds across food, drink, business and hospitality.
Key highlights will include:
- In conversation with David Chang: Multi-award-winning chef and founder of Momofuku, David Chang was recognized by Esquire as one of ‘the most influential people of the 21st century.’ With restaurants in the United States, Canada and Australia, a bestselling cookbook and two Netflix series under his belt, David Chang will talk about the highs and lows of his incredible career.
- What we can learn from Nomadic Feasting with UN Humanitarian Selassie Atadika from Midunu. This talk will explore what it will take to ensure that we can eat, and eat well, into the future. After a decade of working with the UN in global crises and food insecurity, Selassie returned to Ghana to start Midunu, a nomadic restaurant championing New African Cuisine.
- The Origins of Australian Cuisine with Jock Zonfrillo & Bruno Dann: The chef behind Adelaide’s award-winning restaurant, Orana, on Australia’s rich indigenous food culture. Nyul Nyul elder Bruno Dan will join the panel.
- Clean Eating: a 2030 Vision – panel featuring Rob Laing from Farm.One: Take a peek into the future with a panel discussion joined by global innovators reimagining the future of dining.
- How sustainability and mission driven models can also make for successful business with Palisa Anderson, Josh Niland & Ivan Brehm: Focusing on sustainability, eliminating food waste and getting the whole family involved can sound like a recipe for business disaster. Or is it the way of the future?
- Passion, growth & profit: how to survive the boom & stay true to yourself: From the Black Sheep Restaurant Group, Syed Asim Hussain shares how he manages to maintain the culture, quality and intimacy of his early restaurants, now that his business has grown to over 1,000 staff at more than 20 locations
- Late nights, hard work, hot kitchens & stress; can we do everything? with global special forces trainer Mike Weeks: Late nights, hard work, hot kitchens & stress; can we do everything?
In an ever more turbulent, high-pressure world, personal and organisational resilience are critical factors for success in business and education. Learning how to be resilient isn’t just a benefit for the demands of work, it is an essential step towards regaining wellbeing and performing throughout life.
Day passes and VIP packages for The World Gourmet Symposium are available now. Corporate and group packages are also available upon request.
- Symposium Day Pass – $390 (Symposium pass and lunch at Mandoon Estate)
- VIP Package – $750 (networking meet and greet, Symposium pass, VIP seating and VIP lunch at Wild Swan with Kobus van der Merwe of Wolfgat, South Africa – Restaurant of the Year at The World Restaurant Awards 2019).
For more information, updates on further programming and to purchase tickets, please visit www.worldgourmetsymposium.com
About Western Australia Gourmet Escape presented by Westpac:
Western Australia Gourmet Escape presented by Westpac is a unique opportunity to discover wondrous produce, taste world-renowned wines and meet internationally celebrated chefs, food producers and winemakers amongst the extraordinary natural beauty of Western Australia. The food and wine adventure will begin in the Swan Valley, extending to Perth and ending in the Margaret River wine region this 8-17 November. www.gourmetescape.com.au
IMG is a global leader in sports, fashion, events and media. The company manages some of the world’s greatest athletes and fashion icons; owns and operates hundreds of live events annually; and is a leading independent producer and distributor of sports and entertainment media. IMG also specializes in licensing, sports training and league development. IMG is a subsidiary of Endeavor, a global entertainment, sports and content company.